Although I pride myself on turning normally indulgent recipes into healthier, lighter ones, there are some desserts that just wouldn’t be the same. Take these key lime tarts for example.
I mean, 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk?? Decadence that cannot be replicated.
I’ve been making these tarts for special occasions for a few years now and they are always a hit…and the smell of butter and graham crumbs? Possibly the best fragrance ever. After all, its okay to indulge every now and then, right? And trust me, these tarts are absolutely worth it! Creamy, tart and rich perfection!
I do add some macadamia nuts to the crust, and that’s gotta have some health benefit right?
Macadamia nuts-high in monounsaturated fat, which helps lower cholesterol and decreases your risk of heart disease and stroke, high in flavonoids/antioxidants
Lime-excellent source of vitamin c, immune system boosting properties, antibacterial components
..but remember still more decadent than healthy!
Please make these for your next summer meal. They are super simple to make, but always a crowd pleaser.
Check back next week for a project I’ve been working on..as I continue to ask myself why I took this crazy one on!
Key Lime Tartlets
1 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers
1/3 cup ground macadamia nuts
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 cups sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup fresh squeezed key lime juice
1/4 cup Nellie and Joe’s Key Lime Juice
1 tablespoon grated lime zest
Preheat oven to 350°F
For graham crust, in a bowl combine graham crumbs, macadamia nuts, and butter, mix well until mixture is coarse. Divide crumbs evenly into 6 tartlet pans and pressing firmly around edges and bottom.
In a medium bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice, and lime zest. Mix well and pour into graham cracker crust.
Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, until bubbles form on surface of filling. Refrigerate 1-2 hours . Garnish with lime slices and whipped cream if desired.
RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
2 Responses to “Warning:Indulgence”
Leave a Reply
- Plugin by Blogsessive
- Lauren: Congratulations!:) I check your blog from time to time and I really enjoy it.
- Staci: By the way, these have become my staple for bringing to potlucks, they’re tasty and rich and I’ve...
- Christina: Wow! These sound so delicious. Gluten free is an added plus in my book. I am always looking for GF recipes...
- zephra milde: Does anyone think these could be made without egg whites? Maybe flaxseed eggs instead? Any other...
- Danielle: How to you “slice them” I am terrible at cutting them into thin slices. They are so tough to...